The Department of Trade and Industry said David Mills has been appointed to take up a newly created post as CEO of Post Office Ltd and to the Board of Consignia Holdings plc with effect from 15 April 2002.
From The Independent
ALLAN LEIGHTON, the new chairman of Consignia, has brought in a private sector manager to head the national network of Post Office branches. David Mills, who takes over as chief executive of Post Office Ltd, was previously general manager for personal banking at HSBC.
From PR Newswire/Consignia press release
Allan Leighton, interim Chairman of Consignia plc, announced today the appointment of David Mills as Chief Executive of Post Office Ltd, the Consignia subsidiary which runs the UK’s nationwide network of Post Office branches. He was previously General Manager for Personal Banking at HSBC plc.
Commenting upon the appointment Allan Leighton said: “We are delighted that David Mills is joining us to lead the continuing development of Post Office Ltd. The business has a number of exciting opportunities to seize in order to meet the challenges from the impending changes the network faces. David will bring with him his extensive commercial experience of retail operations in financial services.”
David Mills will also join the main board of Consignia plc, and will take up his new appointment in mid-April.
Notes to Editors:
David Mills, General Manager, Personal Banking, HSBC Bank plc biography:
- Joined Midland Bank (now HSBC Bank plc) in 1962 and spent most of his early career in the City of London. In 1975, he was selected for the Sloan Fellowship Programme at the London Business School, where he became a distinguished Sloan Fellow. Thereafter he became a Manager in the Chief General Manager’s office;
- Joined Midland Bank Finance Corporation in 1979 and assisted with the reorganisation of that group of companies to form the Forward Trust Group. In 1982, he returned to the Bank as Assistant General Manager, to create a unified Marketing Department for the UK Bank. In 1985, he was appointed Regional Director for the South East and in 1986 led a special project examining the future of the Bank’s information technology systems;
- Subsequent appointments were as Information Technology Director (1987), Director, UK Operations (1989), Direct Banking Director and Chairman of First Direct (1990), General Manager with specific responsibility for Card Services (1992), General Manager, Business Development (1993) and Managing Director, Midland Personal Financial Services (1994);
- Conceived, established and managed the project team responsible for building First Direct;
- Appointed General Manager, Retail Banking Services, in January 1995. Responsibilities included Operations, Card Services, Electronic Services, Mortgage Services, Personal Financial Services and Private Banking;
- Became General Manager, Personal Banking in December 1999 with responsibility for all aspects of personal banking for HSBC Bank plc, including the chairmanship of First Direct and management of the bank’s Marketing function;
- Has been a director of British Interactive Broadcasting, Chairman of Mondex International and a director of both Europay and Maestro International together with The Employers’ Forum on Disability;
- Is married with 3 children and lives in Cambridgeshire.
Contact: Group Communications, Tel: 020 7250 2468 (24 hours)
Source: RBC News