DHL Express: this new location will strengthen our logistics capacities in the metropolitan region of Central Germany

DHL Supply Chain, the division of DHL Group specializing in contract logistics, is further expanding its existing multi-user campus Leipzig/Halle in Halle an der Saale with the construction of another logistics center with an area of 34,000 square meters and up to 55,000 pallet spaces. The construction time of the future camp is about 10 months.

DHL Supply Chain today celebrated the topping-out ceremony for the construction of another logistics center in Halle an der Saale. Rainer Haag, Chief Executive Officer, Aiste Slabokaite Heid, Business Unit Director North-East, Olaf Müller, Head of Campus Leipzig/ Halle and Adriano Rizza, Construction Director, all DHL Supply Chain Germany & Alps, conducted the celebrations together with Dr. Judith Marquardt, Councillor for Culture and Sports of the City of Halle, as well as representatives from business and politics. DHL Supply Chain is scheduled to complete and commission the new logistics center at the beginning of the fourth quarter of 2024. It is located in the immediate vicinity of the existing warehouse that DHL Supply Chain has been operating for a leading electronics manufacturer since 2017 and not far from another location in Leipzig.

The new logistics hall offers space for customers who need efficient logistics in Germany, Europe or worldwide. The expansion of the campus will also create additional capacity for customers in the technology sector as well as from other sectors and industries. The location benefits from a multimodal connection to a wide range of modes of transport, starting with the national DHL parcel and express network, the existing rail and motorway network and the Leipzig/Halle freight airport. From the world’s largest hub within the DHL Express network, air freight shipments can be shipped worldwide.

“DHL Supply Chain offers a wide range of complete solutions in Halle an der Saale, starting with manual storage and picking, through value-added services provided by our experienced and trained employees, to complex, automated solutions in the warehouse and production environment. A cooperative partnership and close coordination with our customers is the key to success here,” says Aiste Slabokaite Heid, the responsible Business Unit Director North-East. “The new building also enables the expansion of existing business of customers already based on the campus,” Slabokaite Heid continues.

“We are proud that this new location will further strengthen our logistics capacities in the metropolitan region of Central Germany and the associated Leipzig/Halle conurbation, and that we will be able to support our customers in further expanding their business nationally, within Europe and internationally. This is also an important step towards our strategic growth targets with customers from various industries and sectors,” says Rainer Haag, Chief Executive Officer DHL Supply Chain Germany & Alps.

The warehouse will be built in accordance with the criteria of the Gold Standard of the German Sustainable Building Council (DGNB) and underlines DHL Group’s sustainability agenda. The CO2-neutral building will have a photovoltaic system with an output of 1000 kWp and will be tempered by efficient air heat pumps. Specially sealed hall doors, efficient LED lighting and solar-thermal hot water heating round off the energy efficiency of the building.

DHL Group has set itself the goal of reducing its greenhouse gas emissions from 39 million to 29 million tons of CO2e by 2030. This commitment addresses three areas: fleet electrification, zero-emission operations and sustainable fuels for all modes of transport. To achieve this goal, the Group continuously invests in environmentally friendly operations, demonstrating its unwavering commitment to a greener future.

“For the city of Halle (Saale), the Star Park industrial park plays an important role in attracting well-known companies. The location has great potential and offers the opportunity to continue to benefit from the growth of logistics. The city is underlining this with renewed millions of euros invested in the infrastructure in Star Park. Logistics is a strong economic sector that will continue to play an essential role for the city and the local people in the future by offering jobs. DHL is a welcome partner here. We are therefore very pleased to be able to celebrate the expansion of their Leipzig/Halle campus together with DHL Supply Chain,” says Dr. Judith Marquardt, Alderman for Culture and Sports of the City of Halle (Saale).

Relevant Directory Listings

Listing image

ZEBRA

Zebra Technologies is an innovator at the edge of the enterprise with solutions and partners that enable businesses to gain a performance edge. Zebra’s products, software, services, analytics and solutions are used to intelligently connect people, assets and data to help our customers in a […]

Find out more

Other Directory Listings