Australia Post stamp price push

THE cost of a basic postage stamp may rise by 5 from next year and the Howard Government has not given up hope of broader postal system reforms.

Australia Post has applied to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to increase the price of postage for standard letters from 45 to 50 from January 2003.

Australia Post group manager (letters) Gary Lee said the last price increase was 10 years ago and since then, the consumer price index had risen 26 per cent.

"The increase in the basic postage rate has been held back as long as possible, but is now necessary to ensure the ongoing viability of our letters business," Mr Lee said.

"Based on average mail use, it would mean an additional $2.70 a year for household users."

Mr Lee said the increase would impact on business mail rates, but "deep discounts will continue to apply to business mail."

ACCC chairman Professor Allan Fels yesterday said the application would be closely examined given Australia Post's legislated monopoly right to carry letters.

Australia Post will submit formal details of its application next week. The ACCC will release an issues paper next month and hold public hearings across the nation in June, with a decision due in September.

—————————
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission will closely examine Australia Post's proposal to increase the basic postage rate to 50 cents. Australia Post today announced its intention to apply the increased price from January 2003.

The increase would be the first after 10 years at the 45 cent rate.

Australia Post has a legislated monopoly right to carry letters within Australia. Services covered by this right are called "reserved" services. In return for this monopoly right, Australia Post provides a universal letter service to all Australians at a uniform rate – currently 45c.

"Reserved postal services are declared under the Prices Surveillance Act 1983, ACCC Chairman, Professor Allan Fels, said. "This means that Australia Post must notify the ACCC before it can increase the prices of these services. The ACCC has the role of assessing the proposed price increases.

"The ACCC will be examining the issues around Australia Post's proposal very carefully to ensure the best outcomes for all concerned", Professor Fels said.

Australia Post intends to submit details of the new pricing structure to the ACCC by the end of April. The ACCC plans to release an issues paper next month and hold public hearings around Australia in late June.

Further information Professor Allan Fels, Chairman, (03) 9290 1812 or pager (02) 6285 6170 Ms Lin Enright, Director, Public Relations, (02) 6243 1108 or 0414 613 520 MR 94/02 26 April 2002

BACKGROUND

Under the Australia Postal Corporation Act, certain postal services are "reserved" to Australia Post. This means that Australia Post has the exclusive right to provide these services. In particular, Australia Post has an exclusive right to deliver letters within Australia and an exclusive right to issue postage stamps.

There are a number of exceptions to the reserved services.

Most notably, letters weighing more than 250g are not reserved, nor are letters that are carried for a charge more than four times the basic postage rate. Since the current postage rate is 45c, this means that letters carried for a fee of over $1.80 are not reserved.

Australia Post also has a universal service obligation. This means that it must carry and deliver standard letters at a uniform postage rate – currently 45c – to anywhere in Australia.

M2 Communications Ltd disclaims all liability for information provided within M2 PressWIRE. Data supplied by named party/parties. Further information on M2 PressWIRE can be obtained at http://www.presswire.net on the world wide web. Inquiries to [email protected].

Relevant Directory Listings

Listing image

ZEBRA

Zebra Technologies is an innovator at the edge of the enterprise with solutions and partners that enable businesses to gain a performance edge. Zebra’s products, software, services, analytics and solutions are used to intelligently connect people, assets and data to help our customers in a […]

Find out more

Other Directory Listings

P&P Poll

[poll id=”14″]

MER Magazine

The Mail & Express Review (MER) Magazine is our quarterly print publication. Packed with original content and thought-provoking features, MER is a must-read for those who want the inside track on the industry.

News Archive

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This