UPU Supporting Posts, and The USA USO
Sandra Bonfigli, from the Procurement Unit of the UPU Development Cooperation Directorate, outlines how the UPU is distributing key safety equipment for postal workers in least development countries:
- The role of the UPU in responding to natural disasters
- Distributing personal protection kits to various countries
- How the UPU partnered with another UN agency to overcome difficulties such as airport closures and air cargo shortages
Then Paul Steidler from the Lexington Institute joins Ian Kerr to discuss the Universal Service Obligation (USO) in the USA:
- Current obligations on the US Postal Service
- How USOs are defined (or not defined!) in the USA
- Defining a letter
- Frequency of delivery
- Could parcels become part of the USO?
- Pharmaceutical deliveries
- Is there political will to reach a compromise?
- Postal reform and losses in the letters service
- Regulatory relief in other countries
- Political barriers to reform or regulatory relief
- Viability of the letters service
- The possibility of reducing the number of delivery days per week
- The post office network
Listen to the podcast by clicking on the play button on the audio player above (may take a few seconds to load and start playing). You can also listen (and subscribe) to the podcast via Google Podcasts, iTunes, and Spotify.
Brought to you by:
The Postal Hub Podcast is the weekly podcast for the global postal and delivery sectors. For more information, visit the Postal Hub Podcast website at thepostalhub.com.