Porch Piracy – Causes and Solutions
Ben Stickle, Associate Professor of Criminal Justice at Middle Tennessee State University, joins Ian Kerr to discuss recent research he led into the porch piracy phenomenon:
- Background to research into porch piracy
- Reporting e-commerce parcel theft
- Definition of porch piracy – the theft of parcels delivered to private property
- Distinguishing porch piracy from mail theft
- Who is stealing parcels? Is it organised or opportunistic?
- How package thefts are being committed, including times when thefts occur
- Prevention methods that residents can put in place (including concealment and removing the target)
- Environmental criminology
- Target hardening – making committing the crime difficult
- Risk vs reward
- A police perspective on porch piracy
- Future research
Listen to the podcast by clicking on the play button on the audio player above (may take a few seconds to load and start playing). You can also listen (and subscribe) to the podcast via Google Podcasts, iTunes, and Spotify.
Brought to you by:
The Postal Hub Podcast is the weekly podcast for the global postal and delivery sectors. For more information, visit the Postal Hub Podcast website at thepostalhub.com.