FedEx: new investment gives FedEx Ground “significant weekend competitive advantage”
FedEx Corp. has expanded FedEx Ground’s year-round Sunday residential coverage to nearly 95 % of the U.S. population, which will be effective September 13.
“FedEx has nearly 50 years’ experience flexing our network to stay ahead of what’s next,” said Raj Subramaniam, president and chief operating officer, FedEx Corp.
“We’re excited to have expanded our e-commerce capabilities even further—including the acceleration of FedEx Ground’s seven-day a week residential delivery, investments in automated facilities and growth in our FedEx Freight Direct service and our retail convenience network. These strategic investments will help better support what is expected to be an unprecedented holiday shipping season.”
The expansion of Sunday residential delivery coverage – on top of the Saturday residential service that is available to more than 96% of the U.S. population – provides a significant weekend competitive advantage for FedEx Ground and strengthens the company’s ability to serve the growing needs of e-commerce customers.
Other enhancements include:
- FedEx Ground –Through the addition of new and expanded facilities and other innovative technology solutions, FedEx Ground is optimizing its network capacity to meet evolving customer needs. The company has increased capacity with facility investments across the network, including:
- Six regional sortation facilities, each strategically located to serve large e-tailers in short-haul solutions
- Four new automated stations
- Eight new or expanded large package facilities that further enable the safe and efficient handling of items like TVs and furniture, which consumers are increasingly ordering online.
- Expanding more than 50 existing facilities with additional material handling equipment and automation
Shippers can now ship packages as heavy as 150 pounds through FedEx Home Delivery.
- Retail Convenience Network – FedEx package pickup and drop-off services are now available at more than 8,000 Dollar General locations, further increasing its retail convenience network to more than 20,000 staffed FedEx locations. Ninety-two percent of the U.S. population now lives within five miles of a staffed FedEx location. The retail network includes more than 2,100 FedEx Office locations and well-known retailers such as Walgreens, Kroger and Albertsons, allowing for an easy returns and drop-off experience for shoppers. In addition, the retail network is well positioned to serve as a Buy Online Pickup in Store (BOPIS) network for small and medium merchants without brick-and-mortar locations.
- FedEx Freight Direct – The service that offers delivery of heavy and bulky shipments inside customers‘ homes or businesses is expanding its Standard and Premium service offerings to cover 90 percent of the U.S., effective Sept. 14, 2020.