Alibaba: record revenue growth of 29% year-over-year
Alibaba Group Holding Limited has announced its financial results for the quarter ended September 30, 2021.
“This quarter, Alibaba continued to firmly invest into our three strategic pillars of domestic consumption, globalization, and cloud computing to establish solid foundations for our long-term goal of sustainable growth in the future,” said Daniel Zhang, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Alibaba Group. “Our global annual active consumers across the Alibaba Ecosystem reached approximately 1.24 billion, with a quarterly net increase of 62 million consumers, and we are on track to achieve our longer-term target of serving two billion consumers globally.”
“We recorded revenue growth of 29% year-over-year, driven by performance of our diversified businesses,” said Maggie Wu, Chief Financial Officer of Alibaba Group. “During this quarter, our continued investments in key strategic areas have resulted in robust growth for these young businesses.”
In the quarter ended September 30, 2021:
- Revenue was RMB200,690 million (US$31,147 million), an increase of 29% year-over-year.
- Excluding the consolidation of Sun Art, our revenue would have grown 16% year-over-year to RMB180,438 million (US$28,004 million). Aggregate revenue of our international commerce retail and international commerce wholesale was RMB15,092 million (US$2,342 million), an increase of 34% year-over-year. Our cloud computing revenue was RMB20,007 million (US$3,105 million), an increase of 33% year-over-year.
- Annual active consumers (“AACs”) of the Alibaba Ecosystem across the world reached approximately 1.24 billion for the twelve months ended September 30, 2021, an increase of approximately 62 million from the twelve months ended June 30, 2021. This includes 953 million consumers in China and 285 million consumers overseas, representing a quarterly net increase of 41 million and 20 million, respectively.
- Income from operations was RMB15,006 million (US$2,329 million), an increase of 10% year over-year due to a RMB15,690 million decrease in share-based compensation expense related to Ant Group share-based awards granted to our employees. We excluded share-based compensation expense from our non-GAAP measurements. Adjusted EBITDA, a non-GAAP measurement, decreased 27% year-over-year to RMB34,840 million (US$5,407 million).
- Adjusted EBITA, a nonGAAP measurement, decreased 32% year-over-year to RMB28,033 million (US$4,351 million). The year-over-year decreases were primarily due to our increased investments in key strategic areas that have exhibited robust growth in operations, as well as our support to merchants. These investments in key strategic areas within our commerce segment, such as Taobao Deals, Local Consumer Services, Community Marketplaces and Lazada, increased by RMB12,575 million year-over-year.
Excluding the impact of these investments, profits of our commerce segment would have remained stable year-over-year.
- Net income attributable to ordinary shareholders was RMB5,367 million (US$833 million) and net income was RMB3,377 million (US$524 million). Non-GAAP net income was RMB28,524
million (US$4,427 million), a decrease of 39% year-over-year.
- Diluted earnings per ADS was RMB1.97 (US$0.31) and diluted earnings per share was RMB0.25 (US$0.04 or HK$0.30). Non-GAAP diluted earnings per ADS was RMB11.20 (US$1.74), a decrease of 38% year-over-year and non-GAAP diluted earnings per share was RMB1.40 (US$0.22 or HK$1.68), a decrease of 38% year-over-year.
- Net cash provided by operating activities was RMB35,830 million (US$5,561 million). NonGAAP free cash flow was RMB22,239 million (US$3,451 million), a decrease compared to RMB40,540 million in the same quarter of 2020, mainly due to a decrease in profit as a result of our increased investments in key strategic areas.